Nicholas J. Santoro is an accomplished Nevada commercial litigator. He has been lead counsel in numerous trials and arbitrations.
Mr. Santoro has extensive experience in a wide variety of matters, including corporate/partnership disputes, class action defense, shareholder derivative cases, non-compete litigation, commercial real estate and lease disputes, construction litigation and professional liability claims.
He regularly represents hotel/casino and gaming technology companies, utilities, government agencies, homebuilders, real estate developers and law firms.
Mr. Santoro has consistently been recognized for his excellence in commercial litigation by Chambers USA, Americas Leading Lawyers for Business “Band 1; The Best Lawyers in America (Commercial Litigation and Bet-the-Company Litigation); Benchmark, Americas Leading Litigation Attorneys; and Super Lawyers (Mountain States). He is AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr. Santoro currently serves as a faculty member with the National Institute for Trial Advocacy (Nevada Deposition Skills Program) and is a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation. An active participant in local bar and professional organizations, he served for many years on the Southern Nevada Disciplinary Board of the State Bar of Nevada and previously was a member of the State Bars Fee Dispute Committee; he currently serves as a Mentor for the State Bar of Nevadas Transitioning into Practice Program. In addition to his selection as a Colleague of the Nevada Law Foundation, Mr. Santoro was also actively involved in the Nevada American Inns of Court.
University of San Diego
University of Nevada, Las Vegas, B.A.
AREAS OF CONCENTRATION
Professional Liability Claims
Real Estate Litigation
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
Faculty Member, National Institute of Trial Advocacy (Nevada Deposition Skills Program)
Fellow, American Bar Foundation
Mentor, State Bar of Nevadas Transitioning into Practice Program
Colleague, Nevada Law Foundation
Former Member, State Bar of Nevada Disciplinary Board
Former Member, State Bar of Nevada Fee Dispute Committee
Former Member, Nevada American Inns of Court
Member, American Bar Association
Member, Clark County Bar Association
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Chambers USA, Americas Leading Lawyers for Business, Litigation: General Commercial Band 1
The Best Lawyers in America (Commercial Litigation, Bet-the-Company Litigation); Lawyer of the Year – 2016
Super Lawyers Top 100 Lawyers in Mountain States (Recipient in Multiple Years)
Benchmark, Americas Leading Litigation Attorneys, Nevada Litigation Stars
AV Preeminent rated by Martindale Hubbell
Americas Top 100 Attorneys
Legal Elite, The Silver States Top Attorneys, Nevada Business Magazine
- Successfully defended utility in class action alleging over-billing as a result of alleged defects in automatic meter reading devices.
- Secured dismissal of power company in class action alleging deceptive trade practices in connection with implementation of solar power rates.
- Secured dismissal of casino in action by advantaged gambler seeking to establish statutory right of access to casino.
- Obtained permanent injunction on behalf of industrial company enforcing non-compete against former principal whose interest had been purchased by the company.
- Obtained preliminary injunction for company whose former manager attempted to wrest control of companys voting stock; matter settled thereafter.
- Defeated application for preliminary injunction against commercial landlord in claim by retail tenant seeking to enforce alleged exclusivity covenants; matter settled thereafter.
- Obtained affirmance of dismissal of fraud claim against developer with respect to hotel/casino project; published Nevada Supreme Court opinion.
- Obtained judgment for radiology practice against its former administrator who violated her duty of loyalty.
- Successfully defended real estate developers in deficiency actions brought by lenders.
- Worked as part of trial counsel team in obtaining jury verdict on behalf of construction company in breach of contract action against owner; matter resolved after appeal.
- Obtained judgment on behalf of plaintiff against seller for real estate commission related to the expansion of a strip hotel; judgment affirmed on appeal.
- Achieved favorable outcome for grading contractor in breach of contract action against mall developer; matter settled just prior to reading of jury verdict.
- Secured dismissal of hotel in tort action stemming from an altercation in a nightclub on the property.
- Achieved favorable resolution for attorney who was accused of conspiring with his client to cause the loss of shares by a company officer.
- Obtained partial summary judgment in family business dispute involving a construction company and substantial real estate holdings; matter settled thereafter.
- Achieved favorable resolution for real estate developer in dispute by alleged joint venturer regarding public auction of development land; matter settled during jury trial.
- Obtained judgment after bench trial in favor of equipment company which had been accused of breaching an alleged advertising contract.
- Prevailed in arbitration of declaratory relief claims on behalf of hotel/casino with respect to allocation of maintenance costs associated with the operation of the parking structure it shared with an adjacent shopping mall.
- Successfully defended casino against claims that the casinos marketing materials were untrue as they pertained to advantaged gamblers and thus violated consumer protection laws; affirmed on appeal.
DISCLAIMER: PAST RESULTS DO NOT GUARANTEE, WARRANT, OR PREDICT FUTURE CASES.